I don't know much about either. But I had the weirdest dream last night. I was walking downtown and passed an art gallery. Odd paintings were displayed inside and out and they drew me to the open door. There was a class going on inside, and only about four or five students were sitting on the floor listening to two old grey haired men speak.
The teacher talking asked the few students. " Why can humans give up almost anything except their watch?"
No one answered.
And then he asked. "Well what does Aristotle say about time? That is your homework."
And then in that instant I felt so excited. I thought to myself, wow, an art class that discusses philosophy! I need to join this group. I HAVE to join this group. A few students went back to painting on their canvases and I then walked up to one of the instructors.
"Are you guys apart of Cal State Long Beach? Can I join this class?"
And he asked me "Why?"
And I replied, " I really want to learn to paint...but just for fun. I want to make art but just for my sanity sake. I suck, but I just want to make art. And talk philosophy, and maybe even learn to act...I like acting!"
He gave me a weird smile and told me okay. However he said, " To join us you must go home and write a paper on the orgins of Hinduism."
With the most eager enthusiasm I have ever felt in a dream, or in real life, I said YES! I will write the best paper ever and bring it back ASAP!
And then I ran away to do just that. Dream ended.
I woke up and felt sooo odd about this dream. Have you ever felt like you have been touched with something special or greater than yourself, but only for a second? I woke up frantically searching the web for any info on local art workshops. And then I searched "Artistotle and Art" and "Aristotle and Time", and he has views on both. From what I have barely gathered from surfing, he believes that real art imitates life, and that time would not exist without the Human brain to keep track of it.
I just thought, how weird. I have "Poetics" by Aristotle on my shelf...but I have NEVER read it. It was free in a box on a sidewalk in front of a bookstore and I just took it....a long time ago.
Ugh. I dont know. Maybe this dream is just telling me to paint, draw, write....just for sanity sake. Just for fun. Just to lose myself. Just to create moments that are real, only for me. Special sacred moments that no one can touch or interfere with. I feel like I have a lot inside me, alot of negativity that would feel good to come out.
And maybe Art is the only way?
wow! ;-)
ReplyDelete